Each community has it's own tradition of wedding ceremony.Marwari wedding ceremony is celebrated with gaiety.In marwari wedding ceremony following traditions are performed :-
1. Tika (Engagement) ceremony : -This ceremony makes match making official and binding for both bride and groom.It takes place at the home of the groom.The ceremony is also called "TIKA"because the bride's brother actually applies a tilak to the groom's forehead and makes the alliance or engagement official. A sword and other presents including clothes, fruits, sweets etc are also given to the groom.
2.Ganapati Sthapna ceremony :- Ganapati sthapana takes place a couple of days before the wedding.installation of the idol of Lord Ganesha is done for griha shanti.
3. Ban Ceremony (Pithi Dastoor) :- Ban or Pithi Dastoor is the first important tradition of wedding ceremony.This ceremony consists of application of turmeric and sandal wood paste to the bride/ groom. Custom goes that once the pithi starts the bride and the groom cannot leave the house.The bride dresses in a traditional orange poshak and is then brought under a silken canopy, which is held with the help of swords on the four corners by four ladies who must belong to the same clan as the bride. She is brought to the ladies gathering, who then apply the paste to her. A similar ceremony takes place at the groom's house as well, although it is not as elaborate.
4. Mehfils :- It include dance and music masti.Generally it organised in the evening.Separate mehfils are organised for the women and the men.Women performs ghoomar dance.Mehfils are the integral part of a Marwari wedding.
5. Mahira Dastoor : - This ceremony is performed by the maternal uncle of the groom/bride with his famaily and is received by the bride/groom's mother with the traditional welcome.This ceremony indicates the duty of the brother to help his sister at her child's wedding.
6. Janeu Ceremony:- In this ceremony ,the groom has to be dressed in saffron robes like an ascetic and perform a havan before wearing the thread. The saffron robe signifies that the groom now has two choices before him. That is either he renounces the world and becomes an ascetic, or he accepts the institution of marriage and its responsibilities. After the havan is completed and the thread given, the groom has to make a mock attempt to run from the chains of marriage while the maternal uncle must catch him and convince his nephew into accepting marriage.
7. Palla Rasham :- This dastoor is brought by a few of the groom's relatives to the bride' house.It is performed on the day of wedding.
8. Nikasi ceremony :- In a Marwadi wedding, the groom wears a padgi which is tied up by the sister's husband. . A sehra either of flowers or of pearls is tied on the pagdi. brother's wife (Bhabhi )of the boy applies kajal in his eyes. Later, groom's sisters tie golden threads to the reins of the mare in a ceremony called 'vaag-gunthai'. While the sister is performing the ritual, her husband holds the reins of the horse. As a custom, the groom pays a visit to the temple first before proceeding to the girl's house.
9. Toran :- A Toran is placed at the entrance of the bridge's house.The groom hits the toran with a stick of neem.After Toran the girl's mother does 'aarti' and 'tilak' to the boy.
10. Sindhoor and Jaimala :- Then the ritual of 'sindhoor' takes place where the groom applies a small dot of vermilion to the bride's forehead and welcomes her as his partner for life.In jaimala ceremony the bride and groom exchange garlands. This is the first step of the wedding rituals.
11. Wedding Rituals :- The bride and groom is taken to another mandap where Granthi-Bandhan , Paanigrahan , Pheras ,Ashwahrohan are performed.